Who? Us?

We are two disabled, oldish women who have been adventuring through life for years. We are talking about how disabilities, both visible and not, change the way we enjoy our retirement.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Random Thoughts about Education


If my dad didn't teach me to change a spark plug, or a tire, who would?
If he didn't read poetry to me at night, how would I learn to love it?
If my grandpa didn't teach me to glaze a window or use a square, who would?
If my mother didn't teach me to measure a teaspoon, who would?
If my grandma didn't teach me to look at wildflowers, who would?
if my grandpa didn't teach me to wire a lamp, who would?
If my grandma didn't teach me to dig worms and bait a hook, who would?

If my dad didn't teach me to frame a wall, or lay a roof, who would?
If he didn't teach me to make up rhymes and songs, who would?
If my grandpa didn't teach me how to eat an oyster, who would?
If my mother didn't teach me how to fix a toilet, who would?
If my grandma didn't teach me to plant a carrot, who would?
If my grandpa didn't teach me to drive a truck, who would?
If my grandma didn't teach me to clean a fish, who would?

If they didn't teach me to start a job and finish it, no matter what, even if I had never done the work before, how would I have gotten through these past ten post Katrina years? For that matter, all the years prior to that.

If they didn't teach me independence, perseverance, and the ability to know what was right and fight for it, who would?


Who is teaching the children now?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us.