Who? Us?

We are two disabled, oldish women who have been adventuring through life for years. We are talking about how disabilities, both visible and not, change the way we enjoy our retirement.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Donna has an Affair

Yes.  I admit it.  I'm having an affair.  It's been off and on for almost ten years now. It's gone on right under Jan's nose, with her full knowledge.  I've never tried to hide it from her, and don't now.  I've never been discreet.   And the best thing: Jan has now fully accepted it.  And, in fact, at times, she's even encouraged the affair. 
Recently, she's started telling a few close friends about it.

There are times when I've tried not to engage in the affair; other days,  I just can't help it.  My other love seduces me and I cannot say no.

In truth, I am not responsible for this affair.  I never have been.  It started without my knowledge about ten years ago - several months after we lost our home and most of our possessions in Hurricane Katrina.  I'd had a bout of shingles over the holidays and then some gastrointestinal problems that spring.  During that year, and for a few thereafter, the affair was sporadic, intermittent.  Jan and I both ignored it.  I certainly did not admit it.  However, over the next five to seven years, it grew more intense and frequent, and, finally, neither of us could pretend it wasn't happening.  Then even my doctor realized it and reinforced the fact that I was not responsible.  Chronic Fatigue was.

Chronic fatigue had forced my body to sleep more than any sloth you might find hanging upside down from  some tree limb in Sri Lanka. Chronic Fatigue had forced me to begin the affair... the affair with Serta.
  
Yes, my affair is with my bed.  I love my bed:  My Serta Perfect Day Mattress Bed. The attraction has increased expotentially over the last five  years especially.  Just the thought of Serta makes me smile. Most days, as evening comes, I find myself longing for Serta, to be stretched out on, and to sink into, her pillow-top.  In the morning, when I first awake, before I even open my eyes, I think, "We cannot part just yet".  And I often snuggle down against Serta and fall back asleep.

Truth be told, many days I've spend more hours sleeping with Serta, than awake... more than with Jan.  Often Serta and I just can't bear to be a part.  Other days, I'll arise at a decent hour (like 9 or 10 a.m.) and try to spend time with Jan and accomplish some important tasks.  But, by 1 or 2 p.m., Serta begins calling me, cajoling me, seducing me back into her pillow-top.  Only rarely can I resist.


It's not my fault.  Really.  Chronic Fatigue drove me to Serta... to my affair with my bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us.