Who? Us?

We are two disabled, oldish women who have been adventuring through life for years. We are talking about how disabilities, both visible and not, change the way we enjoy our retirement.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Donna Speaks: Snippets of Home

Home Again! Home Again!  Jiggedy Jig!

I don't know from whence the above came, but as kids we used to say it when we returned home - with this ending:

Home Again!  Home Again!  Jiggedy Gin!


New babies have that "New Baby Smell" just like new cars have that "New Car Smell".  I love both, but babies better, especially when, after several whiffs, squeezes, and rocks, you can, unlike a new car, return the baby.  My grand-niece, Avery, three months, has that wonderful smell.  It's the fragrance of innocence.  Would that we could bottle it.  It'd beat out all of ole Liz Taylor's fragrances by a mile and we'd make millions.

The Marines may have a "Few Good Men"; I have a "Few Good Friends".  In a life lived well and lived well-intentioned, you can only have a Few Good Friends.  Really Good Friends, like Really Good Life Partners, take lotsa time to make them last a life time.   

Because they are so good, you want to spent lotsa time with them.  When I go home, I spent lotsa time with my best friend, Chris. Every time I do, she teaches me something new about life, love, and caring for one another.  Then I come home.  I spend lotsa time (more than ever) with Jan, the Love of My Life.  Daily, she teaches me more and more about life, love, and caring for each other.  We teachers are never too old to learn.

Also, we are never too old to make new friends.  During my visits home, Chris has reintroduced me to two folks with whom we attended high school:  Mary Clare and Glen. They weren't friends in high school; they are now.  We spend time together every time I go home. 

This visit, I reintroduced Chris to Evelyn, with whom we also attended high school.  We weren't friends in high school; we are now.  The circle completes itself if you are open and can bear a little dizziness. 

During one of our many conversations, my wonderful 90 year old Dad shared with me that during a recent medical procedure, he was put to sleep.  After he awoke, the doctor told him he had sleep apnea. 

Dad asked what were some of the adverse side effects of the condition.  

The doctor told him, "Well, Mr. Leatherman, you could stop breathing and die in your sleep."  

My Dad replied, "Well, let's not do a damned thing about it... what a way to go!"  That's my Dad! 

If we could bottle that kind of life-view, we'd make a million.


Have a great day, Miss Althea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us.