Who? Us?

We are two disabled, oldish women who have been adventuring through life for years. We are talking about how disabilities, both visible and not, change the way we enjoy our retirement.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Donna Speaks: There's Hope for Me, Yet!


I've been having some good days lately.  I almost feel normal!  On days like these, I hope and hope is a good thing.

Everyone is different; everyone with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, et al is different. I do much better in cooler weather. When it's hot, especially hot and humid, I can tolerate being in the sun only a few minutes.  And I do mean a few minutes. Shade helps some, but if I perspire too much, I'll have muscle cramps even if I drink gallons.  And I-ache-all-over comes and it's almost unbearable. I pushed the envelope last summer.  It was my first full summer in our new home and, well, there was soooo much to do.  And I did too much and I lost it.  And I do mean I LOST IT: physically and emotionally.  Not a pretty sight... when I lose it.

My over doing it, my not accepting my limitations, lead to a series of unfortunate events: a three month bout with irritable bowel and all the fun stuff that accompanies that, exhaustion in spades, sleeping more hours than I was awake, and being a real bitch, among other things. So when summer came this year, I did my best to change my approach to life here.  Ya know, not wanting to have another "hysterical woman" scene for Jan to live through.

I still sleep more hours than I want, but I need those hours.  I do not go out in the sun; I refuse.  I've violated this like, maybe, twice in these past three to four months.  I got my gastro shit (so to speak) under control, and when it threatens, I know what to do quickly to regain balance.  I do my best to eat well - so important.  I've researched, Jan's researched, and together we've come up with some supplements that truly have helped.  I'd list 'em all, but, as I said, we are all different and need to create our own regiment.  I also try, off and on, to practice the mountain dulcimer and continue my life-long effort to learn Spanish.  And I frequent my hot tub - hot when it's cold, cold when it's hot, jets ever-ready.

Additionally, and, most importantly, I make best efforts to remind myself how lucky I am to have the life I have with the love of my life:  Thank You, Jan.

Also, I am "retired", so I now have, and now make, the time to enjoy friends.  Friends are so important to a good life. We were fortunate enough to have friends visit our new home every month of this past year - 'cept January.  Like somebody or other said: “Friends double your joy and divide your grief.”  (Or maybe it was "give you grief"?)  We love all of you and thank you each for enriching our life.  


And, have a good day, Althea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us.